Skip to main content

Military & Family Life Counselor

Child & Youth Behavioral Military and Family Life Counselors (CYB-MFLC)

What is a Military and Family Life Counselor? (MFLC)?

MFLCs help military families through cycles of deployment and reintegration by providing non-medical, short-term counseling.  Through a partnership between Escambia School District, Pine Forest and the office of the Deputy Under Secretary of Defense for Military Community & Family policy, a counselor has been assigned to Pine Forest High School.

How are counselors selected? 

Counselors are selected for their demonstrated expertise and training and are under the management of the office of the Deputy Under Secretary of Defense for Military Community and Family Policy.  Counselors hold a masters degree or Ph.D., are licensed in their home states and have experience working with children and youth.  Counselors go through rigorous background checks before being placed in schools. 

Why are counselors in certain schools and not others?

Schools are selected to receive MFLCs based on their percentage of military connected students.

What is the counselor's role in the school? 

Counselors will provide care that augments the support services already in place at each school.  Counselors take part in everyday school activities and events as well as help with deployment and reintegration; family dynamics; positive coping mechanisms; staff support education; parent education and stress reduction.  Counselors are also available to facilitate groups and trainings to build leadership skills; manage anger; build self-esteem, confidence and strengthen communication. 

Do counselors keep records about students and families? 

No.  Services provided by counselors are private and confidential with the exception of mandatory federal and military reporting requirements (i.e., child abuse, domestic violence and other life-threatening situations).  No counseling records are maintained.  


Contact Information

Military and Family Life Counselor

Phone: (850) 417-4757